Fire Victim Speaks Out
Three Roommates Trying To Figure Out What's Next
Creighton Students Displaced by Fire Video by kmtv.comvideo
Omaha, NE - A Creighton student whose rental home was gutted by a massive fire Saturday afternoon is speaking out.
Paul Washington, one of three people living inside the home near 34th and Dewey Streets, returned to the scene Sunday to survey the damage done.
"This is crazy," said a shocked Washington. "Everything is gone. That includes my book shelf, my bed, my desk."
Fortunately, Washington wasn't home when the fire broke out. His two roommates were out as well, but the devastation left behind will be difficult for all three to cope with.
"You don't plan on something like this."
Equally distressed is Mark Burns. He's the home's landlord who bought the house alongside his father 20 years ago. Burns had helped his dad remodel the place and renovate the inside. Today, the memories are everlasting, but the building and the work done is now torched.
"This is hard to take," said Mark Burns. "We put a lot of money and sweat and blood into this thing."
Even so, however, Burns knows the outcome could have been much worse. He's just glad nobody was seriously hurt. As for the students, Washington is now staying at a residence hall on the Creighton campus. His two friends are staying with family.
No word yet as to how the fire may have started.