1. Determine the right size of pumpkin for you! "Because it's the size of our face," said Tara and Avery, both age 6.
2. Don't be afraid to find a pumpkin with a unique shape.
3. Leave a good length of stem for a handle.
4. Pumpkins should have hard shells with a shiny surface that can't be punctured by a fingernail, the Nebraska Extension office says.
5. Wipe down or wash the exterior with a dilute bleach solution (about 1 tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water). This will remove surface bacteria and fungal spores, according to the Nebraska Extension office.
6. Make choosing a pumpkin a fun family event! Avoid carving pumpkins more than a week before they'll be displayed, as they'll spoil more quickly, according to the Nebraska Extension Office.
7. Transport pumpkins with care. Put them in your car with soft material to keep them from rolling and becoming damaged.
Watch KMTV Action 3 News Upfront at 4 to get more tips for finding the perfect pumpkin from the experts at Vala's Pumpkin Patch.